Join the Panhandle Butterfly House in celebrating the amazing journey of the monarch butterfly. The 9th Annual Monarch Madness Butterfly Festival will be held on Friday and Saturday, Oct. 16 and 17 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and offers fun for the entire family. The Panhandle Butterfly House is located at 8581 Navarre Parkway in Navarre Park at the foot of the Navarre Beach Bridge.
The Panhandle Butterfly House is a certified Monarch Waystation with Monarch Watch, an educational, conservation and research organization at the University of Kansas. On Friday and Saturday, the entire family can enjoy strolling through the vivarium– a screened structure housing hundreds of butterflies and the plants they love. Children can learn about the life and biology of the butterfly while earning their Junior Lepidopterist card. Children, ages 3 and up, and adults will be able to tag and release a monarch butterfly outdoors as part of the annual Monarch Watch.
“The tagging program is a part of a nationwide research program that helps answer questions about the geographic origins of monarchs that reach Mexico, the timing and pace of the migration, mortality during migration, and changes in geographic distribution” said Mary Derrick, UF/IFAS Extension Santa Rosa County Agent.
Other exciting things to do will include:
- Kids can make and take fun butterfly-related crafts
- The Monarch Market will offer many exciting butterfly-themed treasures for sale.
- The Navarre Beach Sea Turtle Conservation Center will have a dynamic display
- Santa Rosa County Master Gardeners will provide advice on your lawn, landscape and gardens
- Navarre Garden Club will offer garden products for sale.
- Monarchs, Milkweed and More booth
- Meet a local butterfly book author
- Enjoy a self-guided monarch migration tour through outdoor butterfly garden
- Holley-Navarre Elks Lodge #2787 will be raising money for local charities with the sale of hamburgers and hot dogs, along with snacks and soft drinks.
Admission is free, but donations are encouraged and appreciated. Only through the generosity of our visitors are we able to provide the community with this wonderful outdoor science lab. It is a wonderful opportunity to learn while having loads of fun! Monarch Madness is brought to you by the Panhandle Butterfly House with help from the Santa Rosa County Tourist Development Office, as part of the 2015 12th Anniversary Beaches to Woodlands Tour.